Friday, September 01, 2006

Why go back to School?

After working as a journalist in northern Utah, moving to Denver, CO to work as a technical writer and web developer, oh, and that short time as a car salesman (I'm trying to block that time from memory), I have decided to go back to school to receive my masters degree.

I started my higher education career at Utah State University (USU) majoring in Nutrition with the intent to go onto dental school. That didn't last very long. I hate the sound of dental drills and I decided that the chemistry and biology classes were not my thing. So I switched to an English teaching degree. This area fit me much better. I was very excited until several poeple kept mentioning that there's no money in teaching. Of course I knew that. You don't become a teacher for the money. But after a while, I switched from English Teaching to English with an emphasis in Technical Writing.

My mother was perfectly correct in telling me that there's no money in teaching. I eventually moved up the ranks in the corporate world and made a lot of money. I even started my own company and did very well with that.

But now that I am successful and reached what I think is the American dream, I found an empty spot in my life. I kept looking back at those years where I almost became a teacher. For the last year, I have had this feeling that teaching is where I belong. Throughout my career I never had that feeling about what I was doing at the time. It seemed that I was just floating through life waiting for the next thing to happen. So now I am grabbing life by the horns and creating a destiny that I feel I was chosen for.

I know that probably sounds sappy, but who cares. I want to be a teacher and Western Governors University is going to get me there.

No comments: